Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Grandmas are the sweetness of life......

What children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies. ~Rudolph Giuliani

I know we all have the best grandmother in the world.  My grandmothers Julia and Louise were two of the best.  I accredit this to their maturity (both were older when they had my parents).  They had lived through the Depression and each knew heartache. I spent a lot of time with both as they were my main caregivers growing up.  I loved being sick because it meant a day with them.
My grandmother Julia Margaret grew up in a modest upbringing.  It was mixed with farmers and rich aunts.  At one time she worked as a school cafeteria worker, an occupation both of my grandmothers held.  Grandma Julia recorded her life from her Freshman year in high school until her death in 1985.  Those journals gave me much insight to who my grandmother was.  I was 12 when she died and I only remember the happy go lucky Grandmother.  I've laughed and cried with her in those journals.  In 12 years she taught me much but 26 years later she's still teaching me.  I guess I've become reminicent because in a month my cousin will marry his love and Grandma's family will be there to celebrate.  It's a good time to remember her.

What my Grandmother Julia has taught me....
  • The fine art of washing dishes.  Yes, there is a skill to it and it requires a lot of laughter.  My grandfather always wondered what we were laughing about at the kitchen sink.
  • Nothing beats cold sheets on a hot summer night
  • How to make a proper shoe fly sandwich and that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich tastes better when you cut it into triangles.
  • How to play Chinese checkers and the peg game (the one you play when you go to Cracker Barrel)
  • How to play the organ.  She always had a small electric organ in the attic.
  • She's the first person who ever gave me a cup of coffee.  I still have the cups she served me in.
  • That the extra crust from making a pie is the best part with a little butter and cinnamon.
  • Adventure was everywhere whether it be the laundry mat or a walk to the creek. She had a great imagination.
  • Hard work and laughter go hand in hand.  I never remember her taking anything too serious.
  • Laughter and a sense of humor look beautiful on a person.
  • Blood does not make family.  I have 2 cousins that were step cousins but I've never thought of them like that.  Grandma told me one time that she didn't care, they were her grand kids and she would never refer to them as her step grandchildren, her grandchildren they were.  I hope they have always felt that way.
  • Complaining is unattractive.  She NEVER complained.  She didn't feel well the 2 months leading up to her death.  The only way we ever knew this was when we read her diary after she died and she mentioned not feeling well.  She died 2 days after my 12 birthday unexpectedly of a bad heart.
  • I'm sure there are a million other things I've learned from her.......
I miss her, I didn't realize how much.  The one thing I do have is my mother, who every day reminds me more and more of my grandmother. I'm glad my boys have her. I know I'll be a good grandmother because I had good role models.  I know Grandma has been watching me for the last 26 years, I hope she's proud.







1 comment:

  1. OH! I remember those days in the attic playing with that organ. And playing store on the back porch,with all the tomatoes from the garden lined up on the railing. I was so lucky to have her for a neighbor! <3

    ReplyDelete